FAN EXPO Canada 2018« Back to Case Studies
Touchwood PR has been the agency of record for FAN EXPO Canada (FXC) since 2014. To date we have initiated strong and effective media campaigns for the show, resulting in coverage in top tier print, radio, television and digital media. We also leverage relationships with our media partners to execute effective promotional campaigns.
With each show, we set out to achieve the following goals:
- Continue to position FXC as one of the largest events of its kind and a must-attend event for fans and families;
- Increase public and media awareness of FXC;
- Increase advance publicity for FXC and its programming through experiential publicity stunts and local media interviews with talent, creators and spokespeople driving to ticket sales;
- Increase on-site publicity for FXC for attending talent, creators and spokespeople;
- Garner advance coverage driving ticket sales;
- Provided a positive experience for media attending FXC;
- Facilitate a smooth and efficient media accreditation process.
STRATEGY AND TACTICS:
The strategy and tactics for the show are developed each year and tailored to programming and the overall goals of the show. We identify major themes based on the show’s programming to pitch advance feature pieces and interview.
We liaise with many different stakeholders involved with the show including booking agents, personal publicists, studio publicists and communications teams from FAN EXPO’S sponsors and partners.
In addition, we organize and execute press days for celebrity guests of the show for advance coverage and facilitate on site press requests during the show including live, fast-breaking hits with local and national news outlets. We also utilize the many local talent usually involved with the show including artists and cosplayers as well as FAN EXPO Canada spokespeople for interview opportunities.
RESULTS FOR THE 2018 SHOW:
Through strategic, targeted media relations and promotions we have been able to increase the profile of FAN EXPO Canada every year. In 2018 the results included:
- Initial press release announcing the Back to the Future guests was picked up widely in approximately 100 outlets across the country.
- Leveraged relationships with Indie88, She Does The City and Exclaim! to organize cost-effective and successful major promotional partnerships.
- Leveraged media interest in the Back to the Future guests and invited key media to cover and broadcast parts of their panel for additional fast-breaking coverage.
- Capitalized on the success of the Degrassi cast’s involvement in Drake’s music video to execute a press day, which included interviews with all four television morning shows in Toronto as well as Etalk and Toronto Life.
- Organized advance interviews with major media outlets for Christopher Lloyd, William Shatner, Evangeline Lilly, Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood.
- Leveraged new programming including the Master of Cosplay Grand Prix and WWE Night to reach new audiences and generate additional media coverage for the convention.
- Our efforts resulted in approximately 260 million media impressions.